Which filesystem do you use on Linux

Absolutely anything can happen at the Astronaut's favorite bar.

Which filesystems(s) do you use for your root (/) partition on Linux?

ext3
No votes
ext4
43%
BTRFS
43%
ZFS
14%
XFS
No votes
F2FS
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 7
pid1
Site Admin
https://dekodeco.com.pl/producent-mebli-na-wymiar-w-warszawie-nowoczesne-kuchnie/

Which filesystem do you use on Linux

Post by pid1 »

Please vote in the poll and comment on this thread as to your choice of filesystem(s) used for your root (/) partition on your systems. You can choose multiple as you may have different filesystems among different Linux installs or computers.

I use Btrfs for everything other than /boot (ext4) and /boot/efi (FAT32). I am curious about getting into ZFS on Linux, however, so any comments of your experiences with it would be appreciated.
Linux/BSD since 2001. Void Linux+KDE/Plasma since 2015. Windows? Not even in a virtual machine :D
shortarcflyer

Re: Which filesystem do you use on Linux

Post by shortarcflyer »

I use ext4 since it is what I am more familiar with and about the only file type I have used since moving to Linux.
Void Linux
staryvyr

Post by staryvyr »

I am still using ext4, because it is reliable, fast and because I understand the background of this format.
In principle I am curious about btrfs, but as long as the balancing of the meta data is not working well I will avoid it.
zeerooth

Post by zeerooth »

I used to use ext4 for a long time, but I switched to BTRFS when moving to void. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be as stable, but honestly I've had 0 issues thus far.
As a nice plus, I have compression enabled and it saves 43 GB in total on my 512 and 256 GB SSDs, which is very neat.
pid1
Site Admin

Post by pid1 »

staryvyr wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:17 pm I am still using ext4, because it is reliable, fast and because I understand the background of this format.
In principle I am curious about btrfs, but as long as the balancing of the meta data is not working well I will avoid it.
What metadata balancing issue? I am not aware of any in recent or semi-recent history but I have no read the maillist in quite some time.

zeerooth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:43 am I used to use ext4 for a long time, but I switched to BTRFS when moving to void. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be as stable, but honestly I've had 0 issues thus far.
As a nice plus, I have compression enabled and it saves 43 GB in total on my 512 and 256 GB SSDs, which is very neat.
I've been running Btrfs from laptop and desktop to NAS storage for more than 10 years now. I have never had a failure or data loss despite power losses or hard drive failures (in Btrfs raid5 configuration) having occurred thrice to the same NAS on separate occasions. I also use zstd compression which has been great at saving some space and speeding things up by reducing I/O data transfer to and from HDD/SDD.
Linux/BSD since 2001. Void Linux+KDE/Plasma since 2015. Windows? Not even in a virtual machine :D
staryvyr

Post by staryvyr »

pid1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:07 pm What metadata balancing issue? I am not aware of any in recent or semi-recent history but I have no read the maillist in quite some time.
AFAIK it is like this: If your are intensively writing (e.g. a VM becomes very large) it might be that the sections that btrfs has reserved for the meta data become fairly crowded. If you are deleting the user data, the corresponding meta data are still charged and not necessarily automatically deleted, i.e. there are cases in that the user has to delete the meta data by hand (in some distros corresponding balancing cron jobs are automatically installed, but moslty, e.g. Debian or Ubuntu not). So if you continue writing, it might happen, that the disk is "full" while it isn't, it is just that the meta data section is full of "ghost" meta data.

EDIT: So in the latter case you are trapped. Try something like

Code: Select all

btrfs balance start fulldisk
and you will get the message that you cannot do it because the disk is full (while it isn't). Well of course you can solve that by mounting the disk externally, well, but in my opinion that is not like a filesystem should work.

If you know a good solution for this problem in Void, I am definitely eager for it :!:
Last edited by staryvyr on Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pid1
Site Admin

Post by pid1 »

Okay I think I know what you're talking about. The ENOSPC issue. Yes I have ran into that issue maybe twice over the many years and it was easily avoidable but I pushed it with risky corner case issues. It is noteworthy that both times I was able to solve it using btrfs balance as instructed to help fix the issue - or by adding another disk/partition entirely even if temporary. The potential for this issue has been significantly reduced over the years with regular fixes to prevent it added.

I, personally, would not consider this a big issue as long as you take some reasonable care to prevent the filesystem from filling up near 95%. I have not ran a btrfs balance on my single drive laptop or Btrfs raid0 desktop in years and have had no issues - both hovering around 70% usage.
staryvyr

Post by staryvyr »

Thank you for the reference and info! Maybe I am too chickenhearted and should give BTRFS a chance ....
(however I would prefer to have a good solution for that.)
pid1
Site Admin

Post by pid1 »

I started small, using Btrfs solely on a single partition for Gentoo's /usr/portage directory. It made sense because I was able to compress the data by nearly 50% and saved even more because ext4 ran out of inodes well before it ran out of space if using default values. Btrfs solved that for me. Mind you, I was using it before it was ever mainlined into the Linux kernel for this purpose. Once it proved itself to me, then I began using it on a new desktop for the full installation and never looked back.

There's nothing wrong with baby steps. You can even try Btrfs' features and stability with zero risk to your system or data using loop devices.
staryvyr

Post by staryvyr »

@pid1

Thank also for these information! I will check that out i.e. Btrfs is now on my ToDo-list :)